After reading the article, No, Seriously: No Excuses, I agree with the statement, “supplementing classroom strategies with targeted, evidence-based interventions outside the classroom: working intensively with the most disadvantaged families to improve home environments for young children; providing high-quality early-childhood education to children from the neediest families; and, once school begins, providing low-income students with a robust system of emotional and psychological support, as well as academic support.” I agree that in order to reform the education of low-income students it will require more attention from the teachers. Although this statement suggests for the teachers to become very involved with the disadvantaged student and their family, how can we require teachers to work intensively with not just the disadvantaged students but their families? Are teachers the right people to be approaching these families in need?
I understand that if no one gives a student support then the student will not be motivated or supported, but it is another thing to ask a teacher to be an educator in the classroom and outside of it. If teachers are expected to become involved with the student and their family, then the teacher is directly stepping into the student’s life and taking on that responsibility of raising that student correctly and also taking on the responsibility of helping a family. I do not believe that a teacher should be expected to raise a family so a student can succeed in school, that is the job of our government welfare programs. I see the teacher as a resource or ally, but not as the activist, stepping in the homes taking care of students and their families. How can a teacher be prepared with the resources and education needed to help disadvantaged families live a better life?
However, I do believe that teachers are amazing and must do what they preach. If a teacher tells a student they can do anything as long as they put their mind to it, then the teacher should be able to do the same. I think anyone can make a difference and I believe that teachers could have a great impact to bring change to these student’s attitudes. In the classroom I expect a teacher to be responsible for the education of his/her students and the success of their students. I believe that the teacher needs to provide support to the students in the best way possible for specific students. If the student needs the extra support or encouragement then the teacher should provide it for that student. Since the teacher is able to support his/her students I think the teacher could also have a great impact by approaching the families. Although it is not part of a teacher’s expectations to become involved with disadvantaged families, because what if a teacher has 27 students, all in poverty. Is the teacher expected to go visit 27 families and fix their problems? How could one person give that much support or maintain that responsibility?
No comments:
Post a Comment