The article: Dissertation-style A-level project goes beyond teaching to test, explains how schools have another way to challenge assessment. The dissertation style is known as “The Extended Project,” which allows for any student to participate and should be considered as an advanced level course or as a diploma course. This project is, “designed to foster independent thinking” which will replace an exam. The project itself is to allow the student to “explore and develop themselves, through dissertation, scientific investigation, artefact or performance.”
I agree with this idea of the Extended Project because it allows the student to find something they are passionate about and develop their own ideas. By allowing the student to teach themselves asks alot of the student. Without a teacher, the student will need to learn certain skills on their own such as: research, reading, writing, etc. The student may struggle at first but without any one there to push them along and make them do the work they are gaining perseverance, a skill that can not be taught, but learned. This project also encourages students to create and defend their platform of the topic they have chosen. The logic behind the Extended Project, is that the topic chosen by the student will “fire up their enthusiasm and give them the confidence to develop ideas.” These ideas are their own and is an example of independent thinking at it’s best.
The Extended Project could be even better if teacher’s were to review their student’s work and introduce critical thinking or analyzation. The best advice I was given from a teacher was that I should take my idea and apply it to how it affects me, then how it affects my town and then how it affects the world. When I stood back and looked at how it affected others my ideas grew and got bigger because I was considering many more people and many more ideas. This teacher taught me how to broaden my view and see the horizon inside and outside the classroom. A life skill was learned because my teacher took the time to show me how one idea can affect not just me but others and one day the whole world. Everyday when I interact with someone I am aware of my words and actions because I know they have consequences, wether it be that they offend or hurt someone, I try to make my self aware of the bigger picture.
Through the extended project, students are able to learn and develop more critical thinking of skills, analyzation and research skills. Whereas, a standardized assessment will only reflect the basic standards required by the state/nation. The point of these standardized assessments are to serve the students by educating them properly so that they may hold intellectual conversations in the workplace and in everyday life. But standardized assessment also brings with it discouragement. The Extended project “challenges the notion ‘that assessment is the only guarantor of a child’s academic worth.’” With the Extend Project the student will not be able to be a number any more among many standardized assessments, and the number will be replaced with a name who has passion and enthusiasm for learning. Teachers are created through curiosity and an excitement for learning. As educators, we should encourage these students to find their passions and not limit them through standard assessments.
On another note: this post was created today and there was only one comment that questioned if this idea was “pioneering.” Since the IB Diploma’s Extended Essay reflects the idea of the Extended Project.
No comments:
Post a Comment